Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Narrowing Your Topic
Before you can start your research, you must focus on one aspect of the larger topic of marriage and family. Ask yourself these questions:
- What do I want to know about marriage?
- What do I want to know about family?
- What is an argument that I'd like to present to my professor and class?
Here are some suggestions for narrowing this broad topic:
- Do couples marry for love, to procreate, or for another reason?
- What is the history of arranged marriages or what are the current practices of arranged marriages?
- Do prenuptial agreements work?
- What effects does divorce have on the couple, their children, etc.?
- Should same-sex couples be allowed the same marital rights as heterosexual couples?
- How does the new trend of "cohabiting" change the institution of marriage?
- Do women in abusive relationships stay married to the abuser?
- Should mothers work outside the home or care for their children?
- How have family values evolved throughout history?
- What are the issues involved with single parents?
- Should same-sex couples be allowed to adopt children?
- What is the place of the elderly within the family? Should they live with their families or reside in an assisted living facility?
- How does child abuse affect those children psychologically? What happens to children if they see their mothers or fathers being abused?
- How are household chores handled by males vs females?
Family / Families / Family life
Stepfamilies / Stepparents
Children with disabilities
Household labor and chores
Maternity / paternity / parental leave
Child development and stages: Infancy, toddlerhood, preschool, middle childhood, adolescence
Marriage & Relationship Topics
Household chores / tasks
Work / Careers
Dating or Domestic violence
Marriage customs around the world and in specific cultures