Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reference & Research Help Hours
NCC librarians are available:
Monday to Thursday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Friday & Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
You can also request a Virtual Book a Librarian appointment to video chat on a day and time convenient to your schedule.
Our hours may differ during holidays, interim, winter, and summer sessions. Outside of these hours, our Ask the Librarian chat is staffed by Visiting Librarians from our after-hours service.
See more library hours.
Pennsylvania State Flag
Choose a topic that:
- That interests you
- Is appropriate for the assignment
- Is manageable - not too broad or too specific
- Get basic information from encyclopedias and reference books
Focus Your Topic:
- Use the background information to focus your topic to one or two key aspects.
- Limit your topic by:
- Place (i.e. Pennsylvania, New York City, etc.)
- Time period (i.e. Civil War, 2000 - 2004, etc.)
- Event (i.e. Battle of Gettysburg)
Select Appropriate Resources:
- Think about your topic and decide what types of materials you need to research your subject
- Scholarly journals, magazines or newspapers
- Web sites