Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
KNOW YOUR SOURCES
- Articles are written by authorities in the field
- Articles undergo a peer review process before acceptance for publication
- Authors of articles always cite their sources
- Examples: New England Journal of Medicine, Science
- Intended for a general audience
- Articles are written by staff reporters
- Articles are heavily illustrated, generally with photographs
- No peer review process
- Articles usually do not have references or a bibliography
- Examples: Time, National Geographic, Scientific American
Databases for Controversial Issues
- To access databases from off campus, enter your username NCC credentials.
- To ensure the articles are current, specify the date range for the last 2 years.
Researching a controversial, persuasive, or current topic? Use this source to find long reports covering popular topics. Each report covers the background of the issue, current happenings, looking to the future, and pro/con arguments.
Issues & Controversies
Issues & Controversies explores and analyzes hundreds of hot topics in politics, business, government, crime, law, energy, education, health, family, science, foreign policy, race, rights, society, and culture. Full reports on current or controversial topics and issues that include an introduction, history, supporting and opposing arguments, timelines, and statistics.
Gale in Context Opposing Viewpoints
Working on a persuasive speech or paper? Look here for articles on alternative points of view on controversial issues. Click the “Browse Issues” tab to get a list of topics.
Database Resources for Biology
Gale in Context Science
This database covers all of your science needs! All branches of science, including health and medicine, are represented. Current and controversial science topics are also covered here.
ProQuest Science & Technology - Index to general academic journals, magazines and newspapers. Many articles are full-text.
PLOS Biology - an international, peer-reviewed online publication covering the biological sciences.
EBSCOHost - Index to general academic journals and newspapers. Many articles are full-text.
JSTOR - Contains full text articles from periodicals covering the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
Remember: To log into a database from home, click on the database link and when prompted, enter your NCC credentials