Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reference & Research Help Hours
Outside of posted hours, our Ask the Librarian chat is staffed by Visiting Librarians from our after-hours service.
Book a Librarian appointments
Request a Book a Librarian research consultation to meet or video chat on a day and time convenient to your schedule.
Other Related Research Guides
Research Tips for Technical Writing
Choose a topic that:
- Interests you
- Is appropriate for the assignment
- Is manageable - not too broad or too specific
- Get basic information from encyclopedias and reference books
Focus Your Topic:
- Use the background information to focus your topic to one or two key aspects.
- Limit your topic by:
Select Appropriate Resources:
- Think about your topic and decide what types of materials you need to research your subject
- Scholarly journals, trade journals, magazines or newspapers
- Handbooks and reference books (print & electronic)
- Web sites