Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Know Your Sources
- Contains an abstract (summary of the article)
- Contains a problem statement identifying the topic
- Tells how the research has been conducted.
- Describes the methods used in gathering data
- Discusses the results of the study
- Gives a conclusion discussing the study's implications for the profession
(summarizing a research article)
- Tries to pull together the literature on a topic and summarize the findings of others
- May have an abstract and conclusion
- Does NOT contain the methods and individual steps used to conduct the original study
- Written for general readers in less technical language than a research article.
Biology Periodicals in Print
You will find these titles in the Periodicals Tower of the NCC Library. Articles from these titles may also be available in the EBSCOhost or ProQuest databases.
- New England Journal of Medicine - Last 5 years
- Science - Last 5 years
- Scientific American - Last 10 years