How to determine if a journal is print or online only
A print journal is a journal that is published in print format. A print journal may be accessed through a database like Dentistry and Oral Sciences Source or PubMed Central (PMC), as well as an Internet search.
An online only journal is a journal that is not published in print at all. It is published online only, and it can be accessed through a database like Dentistry and Oral Sciences Source or PubMed Central (PMC), as well as a website.
How do you know if it is print or online only? There are a few tips that will help you decide that format.
1. Generally, it will have an actual page range, like 149 - 167.
2. Actual page numbers may appear on the pdf version of the article.
For online only
1. Page numbers may have an e in front, like e3678.
2. Article may have an unique number instead of page range, like 609.
3. Article may have "open access" on it.
If you are still having trouble determining print vs online only, then try these:
1. If you find the article in PubMed Central, then you click on the name of the journal at the top of the page, then click View in NLM Catalog. Once on this page, look for the section with ISSN. If it says print with a number, then it is a print journal, if it does not say print with a number, then it is online only.
2. You can do an Internet search for the journal name to find its main website. Look for subscription information. If it says published online or open access, then it is an ONLINE ONLY journal.
3. You can send me the name of the journal, and I will see if I can figure it out for you.
Using the databases, PubMed Central and PubMed, you can determine if the journal is print or online. This document also gives tips on using the website for the journal to determine if it is print or online.
Determining if print or online only: Indicators
Key indicators used to determine if journal is online only
In the picture, the key indicators that this is an online only journal are:
Page number: e0263638
On the journal's website in the About the Journal section it states: online journal and Open ACCESS
PubMed Central: click on journal title, then click View in NLM Catalog
This example shows that it is an online only journal
This example shows that it is print. If it lists print and electronic, then it is print
EBSCO Discovery Service
When you click on the title of the article in the results list, the article's data is displayed. Look for the section that has ISSN. Sometimes it will list the ISSN for print and electronic, just like PubMed Central.